- Name: Scott Revey
- Hometown: Alameda, CA
- Major: NPH, Global Health
- Year: Graduate student
- What song did you play today? – While We’re Young
- Tell me a little about how you came to write the song. What inspired you? – This was inspired by a girl who runs Thistle Stop Café. I hang out there a lot, and she was telling me she was excited about her marriage to her longtime boyfriend. They had been in interaction for over a decade and now they were getting married at 25 or so. At the time, I had just gone on a third date, and she thought there was something there, and thinking about Courtney’s story, it totally wasn’t there. There’s also a whole spiritual thing there…because they found that relationship, they can contribute to society.
- What motivated you to enter the RVU Records original song competition? – I want to play Rites! I love playing festivals, that’s my thing. I saw Prince at Coachella, and that was sick, but I don’t want to watch festivals, I want to play festivals! I want to be around other artists. Those are the coolest interactions. I want to be a part of the songwriting and music community here.
- What will you do with the five free hours of studio time if you win? – I have an EP written and ready to go! I want to track live.
- What is your favorite thing about the RVU Records studio? – I really like the room! It’s unassuming… you don’t even know it’s here, but once you step inside, there’s a vibrant community. I like small studios.
- What is your favorite thing about playing music? – Honestly, I feel like I’m in outer space when I kick in that intro. That riff puts me somewhere magical.
• Names: I Hate Ricky consists of Ivan Biggs (Lead vocals and rhythm guitar), Justin Smith (Drums), Ricky Borges (Backing vocals and lead guitar), Tristin Bishop (Bass)
• Hometown: Nashville
• Major: Various local colleges (Ivan is Mechanical engineering here at Vandy.)
• Year: Graduating 2016
• What song did you play today? – “How Does That Make You Feel”.
• Tell me a little about how you came to write the song. What inspired you?
Ivan and Ricky wrote the song as not only a tongue and cheek look at the profession of psychology but also an ironic statement in a world where people are often overwhelmed by their day to day problems. It’s a song that follows the stereotypical line of questioning that people get from therapists, such as the question, ‘how does that make you feel?’ It follows a fictional character that is going through a hard time. “I want the lyrics to cause the audience to feel empathy for the character”, says Ricky.
• What motivated you to enter the RVU Records original song competition?
As previously self-produced, promoted, and funded band it’s great to be able to record more music and have it heard. We want to get out name out there.
• What will you do with the five free hours of studio time if you win?
We’ll definitely put it towards either the recording of another EP or supplement it with more hours and put it towards a debut album.
• What is your favorite thing about the RVU Records studio?
When working in the more professional setting things just come together so much more quickly and easily while still getting a studio sound.
• What is your favorite thing about playing music?
We’ve all grown up with music and our band is not only an outlet for creativity but a support system for each of us.
- Name: Ross Nicol & Nate Banks
- Hometown: San Diego, CA // Fairfax, Virginia
- Major: Music Business
- Year: Sophomores (class of 2016)
- What song did you play? – “In Between”
- Tell me a little about how you came to write the song. What inspired you? – Two relationships we both experienced
- What motivated you to enter the RVU Records original song competition? – To record our co-write and show our friends what we’ve been working on lately.
- What will you do with the five free hours of studio time if you win? – Record more co-writes!
- What is your favorite thing about the RVU Records studio? – Easy access for students.
- What is your favorite thing about playing music? – Putting an idea to a melody and being able to share a personal story with your listeners.
Here is an episode of VTV’s University Ever After featuring a song recorded at RVU Records!
RVU Records and VTV bring you Battle Bands! Two bands are formed and go head to head.
(12/11/13) Solid rough mix recorded tonight by rappers Dope and Blackson. Produced and engineered by Jared Rubens.
RVU Cover Competition voting is now closed!
The RVU Cover Competition entries were recorded in the RVU studio over a period of three days, and are now available here and on our SoundCloud!
Listen to the songs and then vote for your favorite…the winner will receive $100 to Guitar Center and five free hours of recording time!
We were fortunate enough to be featured on InsideVandy.com! Check out this video of our Director and Head of Marketing!